Well. It's been a whole year- Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings Cosmonauts!

I'm currently sitting here on Tuesday before this is posted, having put it off for one reason or another, absolutely astonished that I have been Community Manager of CosmicSky for a whole year. 365 days. That's a long time, you know. In the year that has been, I've barely had time to catch my breath- it's been pretty full-on. But I wouldn't change it for the world!

The original CM was @Xell, but due to IRL commitments, he wasn't able to continue. So you lucky lot got stuck with me and I guess there really wasn't an introduction to me.

I started with Cosmic in October 2016 on CosmicPVP and DESTROYED Demon Map #3 and came out /f top 1 as the leader of Primal. No, there wasn't much comp there, but we made our name. January 21st, 2018 I became Helper on CosmicPVP, then mod and eventually Ban Team, which I still am to this day.

CosmicSky arrived into Alpha and I was asked to help test, and then made my way from Mod on February 15th (the official release date) to Admin on February 17th (yes, just two days!). Then a wacky 10 days after that, I was asked if I wanted to be Community Manager. Of course, I had to say yes!

Now, this didn't all come easily - there has been a huge learning curve and I'm still learning day after day. Not everything goes to plan...
  • We can hard censor words for those that decide to advertise other servers or for those who want to distribute sensitive information. A wonderful advertiser decided to grace our presence, and I went to work dealing with the mineman and blocking his server link.

Only, I blocked " ". That's right. I blocked SPACE. The air gap between words. Which means... I blocked EVERYTHING. All words were censored. I didn't know that though. I had no idea what had happened. Luckily, @Xell was about to quickly unblock it, and ONLY one Skyblock server was affected.

To Skyblock 14- ** ****** **** *****. * **** *** ***! (I'm really very sorry. I love you all!)

• When making build edits to KOTH on our Dev server, I was blocking up some holes using World Edit. Grab one corner with the wooden axe of godliness and then the other... //replace air stone. Easy, right?! Oh, if only. I was being incredibly careful about what I had selected, double-checking nothing was sticking out before filling the holes with stone and moving on to the next area. Or so I thought.

@LDram was in a Teamspeak call with me setting it up at the time, and all I heard was "Kirsty... Can you undo?". I go to where he was and there, where one of the beautiful walls was SUPPOSED to be, was just stone. Beautifully square, beautifully grey, stone. Oh. My. Goodness. This had to be out for release in just a few hours and I had just replaced a huge section of this amazing build with STONE.

Today I would have turned to @iFamasssxD, been very sheepish and asked him to recopy the world for us. But I was new, I was embarrassed. So I set about rebuilding that section of the build. By hand. Oh boy!

It didn't take that long. But it took longer than it should have done. Bet you can't tell which section it is though ;)
Now, I've never repeated those things and I don't plan on it either.

That's the greatest thing about mistakes- you get to learn from them.

I want to thank everyone who has been there to catch me when I needed it. The developers (@iFamasssxD especially for putting up with noob me, and still continues to put up with slightly-less-noob me), the Admins- not just from Sky, but the whole Cosmic network- it's pretty corny, but we are just one big family -especially @ypperin for continually being there to guide me. Not to forget the staff team working so tirelessly on the server and of course, you guys, the community. Without you all, I wouldn't have anyone to manage. Y'all are the best community that anyone could ask for- hand on heart. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now, as appears to be the tradition on these anniversary posts- here are a few tidbits that you may not have known about.
  • I was one of 5 main alpha testers. @RO__K was the first, and the only non-admin to be on the server for almost 2 weeks before the rest came on.
  • There used to be spawners in /adventures that you could grind the mobs, get XP and their loot! They didn't make it into Beta.
  • Leftovers was the ORIGINAL name for Roast Beef when we discussed implementing that recipe. For one short map, it was Roast Beef and then was changed to the original suggestion. It's still called Roast Beef in the backend!
  • For the first reset into Map #2, New Age, I didn't sleep for 48hours- got a spray tan (for a wedding I was going to the following weekend!), slept for 3 hours and was awake again for another 36 hours. LDram did the same, just minus the spray tan. This wasn't because things went bad, but because I couldn't even think about sleeping and leaving the server alone- it means too much to me!
  • When the server goes down for a reset on a Sunday and is typically back up on the following Friday, you may think that we just kick back and relax. It couldn't be further from the truth. That week tends to be our busiest week of the whole map, but it's all worth it when we reopen up and you guys are rushing to come to play again. We breathe a huge sigh of relief, and generally drink some fizzy pop to celebrate!
Something else that should also be mentioned, @LDram was brought on as Admin on the same day that I got Community Manager... So, today is his 1-year too. LDram has been there through it all with me. He's my number 2- the DJ and Xell to the Erin, the Trembo to the Slayer. We make a pretty good team, too! HAPPY ONE YEAR!

Comments

Status
Mar 17, 2019
Minecraft IGN
MissGladiator
Happiest of anniversary!

You have been a huge help to so many, but speaking personally here, you are an incredible friend and leader to stand behind! You have created so many crazy memories for me, from our first meeting in TeamSpeak ban appeals to that crazy Map 2 start, you even married me off to Dyson... you never seize to amaze me with your dedication and love for the community! Even the moment you banned me for Twitch rank is a day I could never forget!

A SkyBlock server is so much more then just a server when you have epic people like yourself, LDram and the rest of the staff/dev team running the show! I appreciate all the moments you have helped create for us. I appreciate all your late nights, and early mornings (when you don't sleep) and every moment in between! I appreciate you and love you lots!

Keep on being the awesome you that you are, and we will try our best to keep up! Lastly, thank you! Thank you for helping create a place that I can call home!

Cheers to another year,
Glad <3

Harrypotterfan07

Cosmonaut
Closed Beta Tester

Nov 22, 2018
Minecraft IGN
Harrypotterfan07
Gg congrats kirsty sky wouldnt be what it is without you through the good and the bad youve done a great job

Status